Loan Scholarship Process
The J. N. Tata Endowment awards a one-time loan scholarship to Indians at the beginning of an academic year for full-time Postgraduate/Ph.D./Postdoctoral/Research fellowships studies abroad, in all fields, irrespective of caste, creed, gender, or community. The amount of the loan scholarship is determined on the basis of the norms laid down for the purpose, and does not cover the full cost of studies, and ranges between Rs.1,00,000/- and Rs.10,00,000/-. All selected scholars do not necessarily qualify for the maximum amount.
The selected scholars may also be recommended for partial travel assistance (a maximum of Rs.50,000/-) and gift award from our allied Trusts as may be decided at the sole discretion of the Trustees of the concerned Trusts. The gift award ranges between Rs.2,00,000/- and Rs.7,50,000/- and depends on the academic performance of the candidates in the course for which they are awarded the JN Tata loan scholarship. The gift award will be considered only for those who submit the relevant academic performance proof such as a transcript and progress report.
- Candidates should be Indians, not older than 45 years as on June 30, 2022, and graduates of a recognised Indian University with at least 60% marks on average in their undergraduate or post-graduate studies. If the undergraduate degree is not from a recognised University in India, candidates are not eligible to apply.
- Candidates who did not get selected in the previous year/earlier for the loan scholarship and candidates who could not avail of the loan scholarship when they were selected are eligible to apply.
- Candidates who are at the end of the 1st year and entering into the second year of their overseas studies (Fall 2022 – Spring 2023) are also eligible to apply. This is applicable only if the minimum duration of the course is 2 years and there is at least one full academic year remaining to complete at the time of award of the loan scholarship, normally by July of any calendar year.
- J N Tata scholars who have fully repaid their existing loan scholarship amount are eligible to apply.
- Candidates in the final year of their degree courses and those awaiting results are eligible to apply. Candidates may apply even if they do not have the admission/offer letters at the time of making the application, from the Universities to which they have applied for the academic year 2022-2023. However, they must update their applications status with the Endowment once they secured admission by sending an appropriate email to [email protected].
- Candidates going abroad for seminars, conferences, training, workshops, paper presentation, undergraduate studies and any post-graduate degree/diploma/certificates through Distance learning or online medium are not eligible to apply.
- The course to which candidates are admitted must be recognized as a Graduate Program (post-graduate in Indian terminology).
Selection for the Awards
Please read carefully because the JN Tata Loan scholarship is highly competitive. It is a matter of pride to be called a JN Tata Scholar.
Staying true to our founder Jamsetjee Nusserwanjee’s vision of rewarding the brightest and the best, we follow a rigorous selection process. Candidates may note the following points:
- Apart from consistent academic performance, we give importance to participation in both co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
- A good GRE/GMAT/TOEFL/IELTS score is extremely important for those applying overseas. If you have received a low GRE score, it may be advisable to improve upon it, to increase your chances of receiving the loan scholarship.
- The statement of purpose carries considerable weight in the selection process. We have provided some guidance on our website on how you can construct a good statement of purpose. Please ensure that your statement of purpose is written by you and free from plagiarism. Many students fill the SoP with too many biographical details which is not required.
The online test
After the initial screening of applications, some candidates are shortlisted to undergo an online test, which will be based on the lines of Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA), on Sunday, 17th April, 2022. This is not a subject-specific test. The TSA contains some numerical questions too but does not presume anything more than knowledge of arithmetic and does not involve difficult calculations.
The timing and other details will be informed accordingly through separate emails.
General Instruction for an online test :-
- Candidates are advised to ensure that they have uninterrupted internet connectivity at the place where they are taking the test. Internet speed requirement is minimum 1 mbps (Do not use Mobile hotspot).
- Please note that test will conducted only once; we will not able to consider any requests for changing the dates scheduled for the online test.
- Candidates who will fail to attend the scheduled online test will be considered to have withdrawn from the application process.
The results of the test will be announced within a week from the date of the test by email. Correspondence in this regard will not be entertained.
Candidates shortlisted based on the online test will be called for an interview, the final leg in the selection process. Such candidates should upload scanned copies of the required documents on the application portal in the a ‘Upload documents section’ in the application form, before the time of the interview.
- The rigorous technical interview, conducted from April onwards, in person at Mumbai or through video conference via Skype/Microsoft Teams/Zoom by the Director of the Endowment and a subject expert, carries the highest weightage in the selection process. ‘Technical’ refers to evaluation of candidates’ understanding of their subjects – current and future.
- Candidates should come prepared with knowledge of their subjects and chosen areas of interest with any specialisation, as shown in their application form. They will be examined in depth and detail in their current subject and chosen area of study and greater weight will be given to depth of understanding of the chosen area of study and career path.
- Candidates in the beginning of the 2nd year would be assessed also on their first year/semester transcripts of the overseas studies.
The final selection of scholars’ for the award of the loan scholarship is based on the following criteria:
(1)Performance at the interview
(2)Score at the online test
(3)Score based on academic results, GRE/GMAT/IELTS/TOEFL scores, Co-curricular and extra-curricular activities, research work, statement of purpose, and work experience.
All the Awards will be announced together latest by the first week of July by mail. The Trustees’ decision on the award of scholarships is final. Correspondence in this regard will not be entertained.
Formalities to be completed
The candidate and the guarantor (preferably a parent or a relative) will have to visit the Administrative Office of the Endowment, by prior appointment, to complete the necessary formalities, after obtaining the visa. They will be required to enter into a legal agreement with the Trustees and provide documentary evidence of the capacity of the guarantor to repay the loan.
Candidates may repay the loan scholarship amount in full in five equal installments of 20% between the third and seventh years. Candidates may begin to repay earlier than year three if they chose to.
(i)All applications have to be submitted online.
(2)Our office remains closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays
All efforts are made to ensure the accuracy and correctness of the information published at Legally Flawless. However, Legally Flawless shall not be responsible for any errors caused due to oversight or otherwise. The users are advised to check the information themselves.