Table of Contents
About Government Law College Mumbai
With a heritage spanning over 150 years and a seemingly endless list of eminent alumni, Government Law College, Mumbai has been considered as a premier institute of legal education since its inception in 1855. Having humbly begun as evening classes in a borrowed premises, this college that first lit the candle of legal education in India, stands tall amongst all its contemporaries. Government Law College has a distinguished tradition. The College has, over the years, produced a number of eminent Judges, whose erudition and independence has been and continues to be, a great source of inspiration to the members of the Bar and the Bench. The list of alumni includes statesmen, distinguished lawyers and activists who have been at the forefront of social reconstruction. The interaction of the students with the distinguished members of the legal fraternity in a cultivated institutional environment that is constantly attempting to redefine the parameters of education, adds to the charisma of this institution.
About the Magazine Committee of GLC, Mumbai
méLAWnge is not just an annual publication, it is a part of aeonian history. It is for this reason that students, professors, lawyers and judges have come together, once again, to breathe life into this edition.
About the event
The Belles-Lettres J.E. Dastur Memorial Government Law College Short Fiction Essay Writing Competition is a fiction essay writing competition that encourages students to exercise their creative writing skills and is sponsored in the memory of Late Mr. Jal. E. Dastur, one of Government Law College Mumbai’s most distinguished alumni. Mr. Dastur loved literature and was a master of linguistic art.
The Topics for this year’s edition are:
- Conclude your story with the following sentence:
“….one must imagine Sisyphus happy.”
- Incorporate the following objects in your story:
Chopsticks | Deck of Cards | Radio
- Build your story around the following characters:
Maya Angelou, Sigmund Freud and Socrates are part of the same book club.
- Build a story revolving around the following image:
- 1st Prize ₹8,000/-
- 2nd Prize ₹6,000/-
- 3rd Prize ₹4,000/-
The first prize winning entry will be published in méLAWnge 2021-22, the Annual College Magazine of Government Law College, Mumbai. All publishing rights will remain with the organising committee.
- Each entry should be no shorter than 1500 words, and no longer than 3500 words. Marks will be deducted for violation of the word limit.
- The entry should adhere to the following formatting requirements: Font type – Times New Roman, Font size – 12, Double-spacing, One inch margin on each side, with Justified alignment of text.
- The identity of the student or the college, university, institution, etc.should not be revealed in the text of the essay in any manner whatsoever.
- Use of topic,Originality,Language,Plot of the story.
- Each entry must be the original and previously unpublished work of the participant. A copy of the entry should be e-mailed to [email protected] in both the PDF and Word formats with the subject “Entry for Belles-Lettres 2021-22”.
- Participants must submit a short bio-data in the body of the e-mail containing the following information: Full name, year, college name, telephone number & postal address along with personal contact number, email-id & postal address.
- In the body of the same email, participants are required to specify which topic they have chosen to write on. Such specification must not be included in the entry itself.
- Participants must submit a scanned copy of their College Student Identity Card or equivalent Fee Receipt. Entries which do not contain the same, will not be accepted.
- The entries shall be the property of the Magazine Committee, Government Law College, Mumbai, which reserves the right of publication of the same in any periodical, journal, book, electronic resource or in any other manner as it may deem appropriate.
- The organising committee’s decision as regards the interpretation of rules or any other matter related to the Competition shall be final and binding.
- Participants must have passed their HSC/CBSE/ISC (10+2) or any other equivalent examination.
- They must presently be enrolled in a graduation course in any field.
- Post Graduate (Degree) course students are not eligible.
- Post Graduate (Diploma) course students are eligible to participate, except those pursuing Management Studies.
- Only single authorship is permitted. An entry co-authored by two or more students will not be accepted.
- The decision of the organising committee as to eligibility shall be final and binding.
Registration to the Competition is free and open to everyone fulfilling the eligibility criteria provided hereinabove.
The entries must be submitted on or before 10th January, 2023.
The brochure can be found on our Instagram page at:
For any further details or clarifications please contact:
Khadija Hetavkar, Chief Student Editor +91 9136032099
Sanika Dalvi, Chief Student Editor +91 9619145153
All efforts are made to ensure the accuracy and correctness of the information published at Legally Flawless. However, Legally Flawless shall not be responsible for any errors caused due to oversight or otherwise. The users are advised to check the information themselves.