The National Law School of India University invites online applications for (2) two positions of Research Associates
Table of Contents
About National Law School of India University
The National Law School of India University (NLSIU) was established in 1987 to be a pioneer in legal education. Over the last three decades, the University has consistently been the undoubted leader in legal education and research in India and has been ranked First among Law Universities in the National Institute Ranking Framework for the last five years.
About the Project
NLSIU is undertaking two research projects on criminal justice-related issues with the support of the Thakur Foundation.
- The first project is on pre-trial issues in India, focusing on two broad themes – excessive pre-trial detention, and the scope and implementation of search and seizure provisions in the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (Cr.P.C), and special criminal statutes.
- In the context of excessive pre-trial detention, the project will study the issue of unnecessary arrests, and bail related issues. When dealing with search and seizure, it will focus on the impact that quasi-criminal statutes have had on the criminal justice process, and also the emerging issue of search of digital devices. The two-year project will culminate into a comprehensive research report, which will then be converted into a series of academic publications. More details about the project are available here.
- The second project is on preventive detention in Karnataka. This project will focus on studying Karnatakaspecific issues relating to preventive detention, including legislative history of preventive detention laws, judicial decisions, and analysis of preventive detention orders.
No. of Openings
Research Associate (02 positions)
Roles and Responsibilities
Research Associates will work on the projects under the supervision of faculty members leading these projects. The projects involve desk, as well as field research. The details are as under:
- Conducting desk research on identified issues.
- Taking the lead in conducting fieldwork required under the project. This includes conducting focus-group discussions, interviews, and the collection of data.
- Writing research reports, and academic pieces, as required.
- Preparation of progress reports, and handling of other reporting requirements.
- Handling administrative responsibilities under the project.
- LL.B degree
- 0-3 years of work experience in an academic or professional setting with demonstrable evidence of research and writing ability (a sole-authored writing sample will be required).
- A strong, foundational understanding of the domain studied at the graduate and post-graduate levels.
- Analytical skills, Collation skills, Communication skills (written and oral), Technical skills, and Time management skills.
- Self-driven, collaborative as well as the ability to work independently, attention to detail, and data-driven.
- Proficiency in MS O
- Candidates with a LL.M and relevant work experience will be preferred.
- Candidates who have experience in undertaking field research will be preferred
- Candidates who have proficiency in criminal procedure will be preferred.
Salary will be commensurate with educational background and relevant experience. The Research Associates will be covered under NLSIU’s Group Health Insurance Scheme. NLSIU will not be able to provide accommodation on campus.
Last Date for Application
16th August 2022
- Fill the online application form, available here:
- You will be asked to submit the following:
- Your CV
- A short statement of purpose (not more than 500 words)
- A sole-authored writing sample (published or unpublished)
- Details of two referees with contact details
For any clarifications in this regard, you may contact the University at the following numbers:
Name of the Contact Persons:
Email: [email protected]
For Official Notification, Click Here!
All efforts are made to ensure the accuracy and correctness of the information published at Legally Flawless. However, Legally Flawless shall not be responsible for any errors caused due to oversight or otherwise. The users are advised to check the information themselves.