About UNESCO International Internship Assignment
In support of realizing the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda, UNESCO plays a significant role in all its domains as a convener, facilitator, and implementer of multi-stakeholder relationships.
Acting in close partnership with government, development partners, civil society, private sector, UNESCO is developing new types of inclusive, multi-stakeholder partnerships to implement and achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
As the most important instrument for the design, planning, implementation, and monitoring of the UN development activities in Cambodia, given its unique inter-sectoral expertise, UNESCO’s programs are fully aligned with the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF) 2019 – 2023 for Cambodia.
Currently, in Cambodia, the preparation process for the design and formulation of the new UNSDCF for Cambodia (2024-2028) has already been initiated through a three-pronged approach:
- evaluation of the existing UNSDCF (2019-2023),
- task Team for drafting Common Country Analysis (CCA) 2022,
- prioritization and design of new UNSDCF. UNESCO is actively contributing across all three aspects.
In this context, an intern is required to work closely with the Head of Office and the Head of Office team in the UNESCO Phnom Penh Office for coordinating and implementing UNESCO’s initiatives in relation to the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework for Cambodia (UNSDCF 2019 – 2023).
Within this framework, the Intern will support the HoO team in conducting research and analysis across all areas of UNESCO’s work in Cambodia, designing and drafting proposals for expanding UNESCO’s initiatives, and facilitating the integration of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and UNSDCF accelerators, into UNESCO’s programs in Cambodia.
Responsibilities of the Intern
Under the overall authority and direct supervision of the Head of UNESCO Phnom Penh Office and Representative to Cambodia, the intern shall undertake the following tasks:
- Support the Head of Office and the team, in coordination with the Resident Coordinator’s Office (RCO), UNCT, and UNESCO’s program sectors, in monitoring and reporting relevant joint initiatives and programs, including:
- all Results Groups of UNSDCF for Cambodia (2019 – 2023);
- all Theme Groups and Accelerators that UNESCO is part of, including Gender Theme Group, Economic Response Group, Social Protection Accelerator, and Strategic Partnerships Working Group.
- Assist the Head of Office and the team in coordinating and supporting the design and formulation process of the new UNSDCF for Cambodia (2024-2028) by contributing to the drafting process of Common Country Analysis 2022, among others, as part of UNESCO’s contribution to the UNCT joint development process.
- Support the Head of Office and the team in documenting, monitoring, and conducting economic, social, cultural, and political analysis related to UNESCO’s areas of competence; researching innovative regional and global best practices and models for UNESCO’s work in all sectors, and facilitating UNESCO’s strategic contributions in Cambodia.
- Provide support to the Head of Office and the team in designing and drafting concept notes for projects and initiatives, in line with UNESCO’s comparative advantages, to facilitate innovative partnerships and enhance the efficacy of UNESCO’s programs and initiatives.
- Support the Head of Office and the team in designing and drafting external communication materials, including website news articles, social media posts, and advocacy material, to ensure that UNESCO’s initiatives are circulated widely, and various stakeholders are engaged inclusively.
- Undertake any additional tasks and responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Office and the team.
Eligibility for the Internship
- Age: At least 20 years old
- Education: Currently enrolled in or have recently graduated from (not more than 12 months prior to the start of the internship) an Advanced degree (Master’s degree) in International Relations, Political Science, Communications, Social Sciences, Economics, Development Studies, or a related field.
- Language: Excellent written and spoken English.
- Required Experience/Skills: Knowledge and demonstrated experience in managing social media platforms, and drafting social media posts are preferable.
- Excellent analytical skills, result-oriented, and ability to work independently.
- A high level of professionalism is required. Capacity to work under tight deadlines. Strong ability to take the initiative.
- Sensitivity to the country’s cultural context, and the candidate should be able to work well in a team and adapt to an international working environment.
- Good IT skills, including knowledge of MS software (Word, Excel, etc.)
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
- Planning and organizing
- Results focus
- You must show proof of comprehensive health insurance valid in the country where you will undertake your internship and for the entire period of the internship.
- Before the beginning of your internship, you must provide a medical certificate indicating you are fit to work.
- Before the beginning of your internship, you must provide your ID/Certificate of Enrollment/Diploma (if you have just recently graduated).
Whether Paid or Unpaid
UNESCO does not remunerate interns. There is no compensation, financial or otherwise, for internship assignments.
Selection and Recruitment Process
- Please apply with a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and Cover Letter explaining motivation and prior relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The subject of the email should be “Internship Application: UNESCO Phnom Penh Office – Head of Office Team”
- Register on the UNESCO Internship webpage: https://en.unesco.org/careers/internships
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
All efforts are made to ensure the accuracy and correctness of the information published at Legally Flawless. However, Legally Flawless shall not be responsible for any errors caused due to oversight or otherwise. The students are advised to check an opportunity themselves before applying.