About Buro Happold
Buro Happold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals that reflects the countries in which it operates. In order to truly benefit from this diversity Buro Happold must create an environment in which employees feel they can be themselves. Buro Happold actively promotes inclusivity across the practice to enable every individual to reach their full potential, feeling included is good for all of us. This begins with a fair and inclusive recruitment process which focuses on your skills, competencies and experiences in relation to the role. Buro Happold recognise and are committed to change the lack of representation of minority groups in our industry, and particularly welcome applications from Black, Asian and minority ethnic individuals, disabled people and women across all our offices. Buro Happold understand that through collaboration, diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.
About the job
Be part of something bigger at Buro Happold!
From helping shape entire cities to tackling the challenge of climate action, a career at Buro Happold presents the chance to make a difference. With a world class reputation, our work and our people have delivered positive change to clients, the environment, and communities alike. If you want to be part of something bigger, this is your chance.
Operating in 26 locations worldwide, with over 70 partners and 1,900 employees. Buro Happold are an international practice of experts in all aspects of built environments, inspired by how Buro Happold can achieve better outcomes.
Buro Happold proudly support hybrid working however, candidates will be expected to be in our office 2-3 days a week.
What’s the opportunity?
Buro Happold’s Commercial and Legal team are currently recruiting for a Commercial and Legal Associate to be based in Asia, working between the office and home as appropriate.
This role represents an excellent opportunity to join an experienced and friendly team and to take ownership of the legal advice and support provided to a fast-growing, exciting and in-demand offering of the Buro Happold business. Your activities will contribute to the mitigation of commercial and contractual risks associated with Buro Happold’s global portfolio of projects.
This role will support the PRC, Hong Kong and India offices and projects. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing bidding support, reviewing, negotiating and finalising a range of contractual documents including Consultancy and Sub-Consultancy Agreements and associated documents. They will also support with providing advice on live contract management, dispute avoidance and dispute management. Some of our contracts are in Chinese and appropriate experience and language skills would be helpful but not essential, and you should then have the ability to appoint external lawyers in a cost-effective way to provide legal support for such contracts.
Buro Happold have a long history of working in Asia, on projects such as the Kai Tak Cruise Terminal Building, XIQU Centre (West Kowloon Cultural District) and the Tsimshatsui Cultural Centre. As an engineering firm with far-reaching experience across the globe, Buro Happold have a portfolio that includes some of the world’s most iconic projects. Our teams in Asia and India also work with our other international teams on projects in the Middle East, Europe and UK.
With us, your preconceptions will be tested, your resilience built, and your career enriched.
This will encompass:
- Reviewing, reporting upon, negotiating and finalising a wide range of contractual documentation (including but not limited to consultancy and sub-consultancy agreements, collateral warranties, novation agreements, letters of reliance, framework agreements, letters of intent, joint venture agreements, and teaming agreements)
- Advising upon and assisting to ensure relevant corporate governance rules are adhered to by the business;
- Advising the business on the successful and correct operation of its contracts and legal frameworks;
- Assisting the business with claims and disputes (including appropriate communications with insurers);
- Assisting with provision of training to the wider business on a range of general commercial and contractual topics.
- Ensuring appropriate support is provided to the teams, Project Principals and Project Directors in closing out contractual negotiations.
- Working collaboratively and liaising with other business service functions where necessary to ensure the overall aim of the Buro Happold strategy can be met and at all times taking an inclusive joined up approach to tackling issues.
- Some travel to the Buro Happold offices within your primary care (Hong Kong, PRC, India) may be required.
Buro Happold will help you meet your goals, respecting your ideas and fostering your creativity, collaboration and innovation.
Buro Happold are looking for:
- Contract drafting skills
- Commercial negotiation skills
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written forms to staff at all levels of the company and external organisations, maintaining confidentiality of information.
- Good organisational and administrative skills and ability to work on multiple tasks and ensure work is delivered on time.
- Positive mental attitude towards problem solving, and an ability to prioritise work and work under pressure
- Previous experience in handling complex matters. Proven and demonstrable ability to think around complex issues and problems and providing solutions that are legally compliant, balancing the corporate, company and finance law requirements, and reducing legal risk and maximising opportunity.
- Technical legal knowledge relating to construction law issues.
- Minimum 5 years’ PQE (if legally qualified) or equivalent experience in commercial and contractual side of the construction industry.
Our projects not only push the boundaries of what is possible, they also consistently add social value and enable people to live better lives.
Be proud to share your specialist knowledge and leverage our exceptional domain knowledge in the built environment to position yourself as a client’s ‘trusted advisor’.
Projects Buro Happold have worked on include XRL Kowloon Station Terminus in Hong Kong and the Louvre Museum in Abu Dhabi.
To find out more about this position please contact firstname.lastname@example.org in the BuroHappold recruitment team for a confidential discussion.
Join Buro Happold to find out what you’re really capable of
All efforts are made to ensure the accuracy and correctness of the information published at Legally Flawless. However, Legally Flawless shall not be responsible for any errors caused due to oversight or otherwise. The students are advised to check an opportunity themselves before applying.