Table of Contents
About the School of Legal Studies
One of the oldest law schools in India, the School of Legal Studies (SLS) was established in the year 1962 as a part of Kerala University offering postgraduate courses and research in law under the leadership and guidance of the late Prof. (Dr.) A T Markose, an internationally acclaimed jurist and academician. The Law School joined the folds of the University of Cochin, in the year 1971, which was later reorganized and renamed as Cochin University of Science and Technology in 1986 for the promotion of graduate, post-graduate studies and advanced research in various fields. SLS has made valuable contributions to the study and research of law in the past 54 years, fully living up to the motto of CUSAT, ‘Tejaswinavadhitamastu’ meaning ‘may the wisdom accrued deify us both-the teacher and the taught and percolate to the universe’ in its totality.
About ICAR- CMFR
The ICAR-Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute was established by the Government of India on February 3 rd 1947 under the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare and later it joined the ICAR family in 1967. During the course of over 75 years, the Institute has emerged as a leading tropical marine fisheries research institute in the world.
Since its inception, the CMFRI grew significantly in size and stature and built up adequate research infrastructure, and recruited qualified staff. Its research attention was towards the estimation of marine fisheries landings and effort, taxonomy of marine organisms, and the bio-economic characteristics of the exploited stocks of finfish and shellfish. This research effort contributed significantly to India’s marine fisheries development from a predominantly artisanal, sustenance fishery till the early sixties to that of a complex, multi-gear, multispecies fisheries.
About Cochin University Maritime Club
The Maritime club, School of Legal Studies, works for the conscious and continuous development of Knowledge related to maritime field and offer a platform where students sharing similar interests can come together one roof to exchange knowledge and ideas on the maritime trade, Law of the seas and the regulatory trends. Ever since its inception in 2018, the club is trying its best to keep the students in touch with the regulatory developments in the maritime filed by organising activities, lectures and talks by prominent personalities.
About the International Seminar
The International Seminar on ‘Regulation and Sustainable Management of Marine Fisheries: Prospects and Challenges’ is being organised by School of Legal Studies, Cochin University of Science and Technology in collaboration with ICAR-Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Kochi.
This seminar offers a platform to discuss the major constraints and challenges faced by the marine fisheries sector as well as explore probable regulatory interventions to minimize the problems. To magnify its Blue Economy, regulatory efforts must focus more on promotion of sustainable marine fisheries, non-traditional species, marine biotechnology and mariculture with less pollution of the seas, considering the impact of climatic changes on fisheries and marine spatial planning. The absence of proper regulatory policies with effective implementation and enforcement strategies with proper coordination and management strategies hinders the development of marine fisheries as part of the Blue Economy.
Who may attend the Seminar?
This seminar is open to all students, researchers and academicians from the disciplines of law, fisheries and any discipline related to the theme of the seminar.
Themes for Paper Presentation
The seminar will try to explore the socio-economic, legal and trade concerns in the light of
various disciplines overlapping with the central theme of the seminar under discussion. The
seminar would inter alia explore topics identified as themes below:
- Marine Fisheries Regulatory Framework-International & National perspectives
- Ocean Governance & Sustainable Marine Fisheries
- Constitutional Dimensions of Fisheries Management
- Climate Change, Causes and Effects on Marine Fisheries.
- Economics of Marine Fisheries.
- Traditional Fisher Community & Right to Livelihood
- Overfishing & IUU Fishing- Challenges
- Sustainable Fisheries Management -Towards Ecosystem Based Management
- Capture Marine Fisheries & Aquaculture Challenges for Sustainable Aquaculture
- Fisheries & International Trade-promoting responsible, legal, and sustainable trade in fish and fishery products.
- Safety & Security of Fishers.
Note: The themes given above may be considered as only indicative and not exhaustive.Papers submissions are not limited to the broad themes mentioned above.
Submission Details and Guidelines
Participants can register for the seminar for Paper Presentation. Submission is accepted for Articles (3000 – 6000 words, exclusive of footnotes)
- Abstracts not more than 400 words (excluding key words), on the above-mentioned themes are invited, submitted as Word (.doc/.docx) documents, with a covering letter containing the name, E-mail address, and designation of the author(s).
- There shall be a maximum of only two Authors for each Article; and all participants are permitted to enjoin as co-author to a maximum of one Article only.
- Potential contributors are required to adhere to a uniform mode of citation (Bluebook 21 st Edition).
- All Abstracts are to be uploaded to the link: https://forms.gle/dz7T2webxznz2w8Q6 on or before 11th January 2023.
- Authors may be expected to revise their abstracts and full article submission based on reviews and comments received from the organising team.
- The Full Paper has to be submitted to the link: https://forms.gle/svvq2keuH7DRrx7S8 on or before 20 th January 2023.
After peer review, only shortlisted articles and papers will be published in the form of a book with ISBN. Out of the published submissions, selected four will be awarded ‘Best Paper’.
How to Register
Individuals interested in participating in the seminar may register by filling in the Google Form link provided below after making payment of prescribed registration fee.
|Registration Fee for Paper Presentation
|International Candidate INR 1000/- (Indian Rupees One Thousand Only) or USD 13; and
Domestic Candidate INR 500/- (Indian Rupees Five Hundred Only)
|Registration Fee for Participation
|International Candidate INR 500/- (Indian Rupees Five Hundred Only) or USD 7; and
Domestic Candidate INR 250/- (Indian Rupees Two Hundred and Fifty Only)
No T. A. /D.A. will be provided to the participants by the organizers. The participants are requested to make their own arrangements for travel and accommodation.
Interested candidates are required to fill up online Registration Form on or before the prescribed due date.
|LAST DATE FOR PAPER PRESENTATION REGISTRATION
|20th JANUARY 2023
|LAST DATE FOR PARTICIPATION
|31st JANUARY 2023
|LAST DATE FOR FULL PAPER SUBMISSION
|20th JANUARY 2023
|DATES OF THE SEMINAR
|2-3 FEBRUARY 2023
For further details on the seminar, please contact:
- Dr Binumole K Coordinator, CUMC (Assistant Professor, School of Legal Studies, CUSAT) Ph: +91 9497804305, +91 9567683713 Email: [email protected]
- Dr Naveen S (Assistant Professor, School of Legal Studies CUSAT) Email: [email protected]
- Mr Rekhil S VII Semester, B.Com LLB (Hons.) School of Legal Studies, CUSAT
- Mr Anunath K M III Semester, B.Com LLB (Hons.) School of Legal Studies, CUSAT
All efforts are made to ensure the accuracy and correctness of the information published at Legally Flawless. However, Legally Flawless shall not be responsible for any errors caused due to oversight or otherwise. The users are advised to check the information themselves.